This website is an archive (as of 09/21/2020) and will no longer be updated. Please visit our newly redesigned website on and update any bookmarks or links you may have.

United States Office of Government Ethics, Preventing Conflicts of Interest in the Executive Branch

Where to Report Misconduct

The U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) does not handle complaints of misconduct, nor does OGE have investigative or prosecutorial authority.  OGE's mission is one of prevention.  However, there are several agencies and entities across federal, state, and local governments that are responsible for investigating and prosecuting misconduct. Below you will find links to agencies that handle complaints against specific categories of government employees.

The Executive Branch

Below you will find links to agencies that handle complaints against specific categories of executive branch employees.

  • Federal employees:

    In most cases, the Inspector General (IG) of the department or agency involved investigates alleged misconduct. 

    For a list of agency IGs, please visit the Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency (CIGIE)

    When necessary, the Federal Bureau of Investigation of the Department of Justice may investigate alleged misconduct of federal employees. 
  • Department of Justice attorneys accused of engaging in misconduct in connection with their duties to investigate, litigate, or provide legal advice:

    The Office of Professional Responsibility has jurisdiction to investigate these allegations, as well as related allegations of misconduct by law enforcement personnel. (The Department of Justice Inspector General (IG) also has jurisdiction to investigate certain allegations of employee misconduct. The Department of Justice IG hotline is: 1-800-869-4499) 
  • Assistant U.S. Attorneys and U.S. Attorneys accused of other offenses:

    Legal Counsel's Office 
    Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys (EOUSA)
    Bicentennial Bldg., Room 2200 
    600 E. Street, NW 
    Washington, DC 20530
  • Federal prison wardens or other Bureau of Prisons employees:

    Office of Internal Affairs
    Bureau of Prisons 
    320 First Street, NW, Room 600
    Washington, DC 20534   

The Judicial Branch 

Complaints against U.S. District judges should be referred to the Clerk of the United States Court of Appeals in the Circuit in which that judge presides. For more information, contact the Administrative Office for U.S. Courts.  

The Legislative Branch

For information on how to report misconduct of a Senator or Representative, contact the respective committee:

State or Local Governments

Many state and local governments have commissions or agencies that oversee the conduct of state or local employees.  Many of these commissions will take and review complaints against state or local employees.  The following organizations may provide contact information:

Complaints against state judges should be made to a judicial conduct organization for the state in which the judge presides. For list of judicial conduct organizations by state, refer to Judicial Conduct Organizations.